Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Why I'm Not a Rock Star part 0 of many

So I finish the pre-demo demos, and all of a sudden I disappear from the net. Well, not quite. I have been busy doing that other thing I'm supposed to do: write stuff that doesn't rhyme and takes up over three hundred pages.

Oh, and I'm pulling the song "Communications" from the set. I never really liked it, and it never quite gelled, but that's my opinion, and part of it comes from not caring about the subject matter anymore. I've written a song that blows it away. I will record soon.

To help at least part of my music mind stay sharp, however, I've decided to do a bunch of short pieces--maybe funny, maybe not--called "Why I'm Not a Rock Star". It doesn't bother me that I'm not (yes it does), but I know a couple of people in their early 30s who should be stars, and maybe the benefit of my own hindsight will help. I know, I know, but I love them both and I have to try.

Slight update a month later:
1) So far (I'm writing this update just after writing part 2) I'm not going humorous, but more trying to write my music career straight.-up.

2) While I said a couple of people in their early 30s, one is much younger than I thought. Were this a sitcom, the misunderstanding would have gotten lots of jokes and been nominated for an Emmy, but it real life it caused some difficulty between us. (It's now thankfully resolved by her reaching out first, and me apologizing for being an asshole. 94.68% of the problem was my fault.)

3) Turns out I'm writing these for her anyway, and not for both my friends. The other thinks I'm preaching at him, which was not my intent.

4) Lastly, it turns out I have no special insight to give. Nothing has knocked me off my high horse more than trying to write honest autobiography.

No comments:

Post a Comment